Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Goldfish #5 Out of the Bowl

If I were writing a soap opera this is the part of my life that would get the best ratings. I began work at a TV station for nearly no money, played in a band and was one of two eligible guys in a group of twenty news women. While I would love to entertain all the bored house wives out there, I will save the good stuff for my deathbed memoirs.
The reality, when the buzz of year one on my own wore off, was broke, no longer in a band and engaged. Certainly the bright spot in this cold shower was Andee. If there is ever a story of love sneaking up from behind this was it. We had known each other for years and worked one desk away for seven months then one day we were crazy for each other. With the exception of a rough spot here and there it has been that way for thirteen years. And while she would have probably never signed on to what was to come if she had known, she didn't.
I first saw Andee (Andrea Wattelet) from a Freshman dorm window. I was watching football in the community tv room when we heard a bunch of girls yelling outside. "Someone tell those bitches to shut up!" one gentlemen suggested.
"No way," another replied. "One of them is hot."
That was enough to get everyone to the window. It turned out the hot one was my future wife.
We ended up declaring the same major and got to know each other briefly during a couple shared classes. We had a couple mutual friends but never got to know each other all that well until we both ended up working at the local ABC affiliate. The job was basically announcing every "hot deal" a local store came up with but we did get our pictures taken with a philandering Soap Star and party with some drunken sitcom folks who would have rather been dead.
After a couple weeks of dating we decided we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together wherever one of us found some other job.

No comments: